MANIFEST AND DECALOGUE
JAÉN, OLIVE-GROWING TRADITION
Jaén, located in the south of Spain, is the capital city of the province bearing the same name and it forms part of Andalusia.
The geographical emplacement of Jaén has had a great strategic importance througough history. Several of the oldest human settlements in Europe have been found in the city. Also Jaén has played a significant role in the history of Al-Andalus and later in the Christian Kingdom of Castille.
This heritage of cultures (Arab and Christian), together with the fertile land and vast olive groves is reflected on its gastronomy and landscape. A cuisine based on the vegetables grown in the orchards surrounding the city, game meat, fish from the rivers, bread and tapas. A folk cuisine where vangarde has an important role.
But above all, its gastronomy has a basic ingredient, the olive oil, the social, cultural and culinary hallmark of the city; an ingredient that is the centre of the Mediterranean diet.
In Jaén, olive oil has had a major role not only in the gastronomy, but also in the econoy throughout history and still continues to thrive.
The olive groves that cover most of its territory ( there are over 60 million olive trees) are the main characters of the most important economic activity in the province: the production of olive oil.
Jaén is the main producer of olive oil worldwide. In fact its slogan is Jaén World Capital of Olive Oil.
1. Make out of the extra virgin olive oil a cultural, social, economic and culinary hallmark of the city
2. Maintain a tradition, the olive oil tradition, proudly acquired over the centuries, and it is link with other cultures from worldwide.
3. The olive groves. Catalyst of Jaén’s live.
4. Fighting climate change, thanks to the role of olive trees as suppliers with biomass resources.
5. Contribute to people’s health and wellness due to the antioxidant properties of extra virgin olive oil and unsatured fat, which reduce riks of cardiovascular diseases.
6. An unique ingredient at the service of the world. Simple, humble, unpretentious. A liquid that unifies, cures, cleans and feeds.
7. Promote new business opportunities from the by-products obtained from the olive trees.
8. Disseminate the arts and knowledge of a millenary culture through activities such as oleotourism, where the cuisine is essential.
9. Revalue the local product with the olive oil as the main ingredient of an authentic and creative cuisine.
10. Contribute to social development by integrating and exporting practices that improve people’s quality of life.